Subject: [Leica] Transitions in photography
From: drodgers@nextlink.com
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 11:51:42 -0800

Hey all! Times are changing. I wonder what transitions others have gone
through over the past year or so.  Here are a few of mine.

1) I switched from M user to R user. I bought an R7 about 9 months ago (had
an SL for a time prior to that). Prior to owning the R7 I wasn't much of an
SLR user. I used an M6 about 90 percent of the time. I also owned both
Nikon and Contax SLRs.  Since I purchased the R7 I've used it 90 percent of
the time. I use two lenses, primarily -- 80-200/4 and 35/2. With this
combination, I rarely feel I'm lacking. The 80-200 is absolutely
incredible, in terms of both handling and performance. The 35/2 eliminated
my need to carry both a 50/2 and 28/2.8. In season I photograph sports --
cycling and running, primarily. I also do some travel photography,
portraits and even architectural work. Photography is not my occupation,
but my recreation. Or at least one component of my recreation.
2) I entered the digital world (about the same time that I purchased the
R7). I don't know why I waited so long. I can't say that the transition to
digital had anything to do with my preference for using an SLR, but at
times I think there's a connection. Perhaps shooting more color and less
b/w has something to do with it. Secondly, I can't  fully  explain why I
still think Leica glass makes a difference in the digital realm. It's not
like CRTs or 1,440 dpi printers cry for resolution, and you can punch up
contrast quite easily.  Yet I see things at times that convince me to stay
with Leica, even when AF  beckons. If I had to justify it (and I know that
I don't to this audience) I'd say that nothing seems to tame imperfect
light like Leica glass. The more I shoot, the more I compare, the more I'm
convinced. I lose very few frames due to poor focusing. However, the real
gem photos seem to be those taken in adverse lighting.

3) I decided to sell all my MF gear -- Hasselblad (in process),  Mamiya 6
and Rollei TLRs (keeping one).

4) I 'm using a P&S camera more. In my case a T2.  I'm looking at the new
TVS III.

5) I nearly sold my Ms, but decided against it. Who knows, this year I may
transition back. Further, the M6 is worth it just for those rare times when
I need the 21/2.8 ASPH.

6) I spent less time talking about photography and more time reading,
studying, learning digital tools and actually photographing. Though not
active in posting this past year, I still follow the LUG closely.

Dave