Subject: Re: [Leica] Transitions in photography
From: "dominique pellissier" <noct@club-internet.fr>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 09:25:37 +0100

- ----- Original Message -----
From: Simon Coates <michael@scoates.freeserve.co.uk>
To: <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Sent: Tuesday, January 25, 2000 10:57 PM
Subject: [Leica] Transitions in photography

> Hello Luggers!
>
> I thought I would add my experiences to the many of the Leica users out
> there who have changed camera systems, to Leica M or R.  I recently
> purchased an R6.2 with 28/2.8, 50/2 and 100/2.8 APO lenses as a start - I
do
> nature/landscape photography and will be adding a couple of telephoto
lenses
> later.  I am based in North East England, UK.
>
> My impressions are that the Leica system is vastly superior to my previous
> outfit (Minolta 9000 AF based) in every respect.  It is just so nice to
use!
> Fantastic engineering.  I now enjoy photography in a way I never have done
> previously.
>
> My basic conclusions on the lenses are as follows:
> Elmarit 28mm f/2.8 - no distortion, vignetting or flare (even with the sun
> almost directly in front of the lens!!!).  Amazing sharpness, even fully
> open in the corners, no point stopping down - sharper at f/2.8 than the
> Minolta 28/2.8 at f/8 in the corners.
> Summicron 50mm f/2 - very sharp at f/2, becomes truly razor sharp at
> f/4.5-f/8.
> Elmarit 100mm f/2.8 APO macro - one of the best lenses in the world;
close
> ups are so sharp and realistic.
>
> I don't miss auto-everything; the R6.2 is a lovely camera and having to do
> everything myself is very satisfying.
>
> Happy (Leica!) photography
>
> Simon Coates
>
> How does one improve on perfection?
> Stop a Leica lens down

At last fresh air !

I'm tired of those threads on Leica in the red, on Leica's CEO who
must manage the company in order to sell sun glasses, cats and dogs with a
red dot stamped on the backside,
on
Cosina lenses which are sooo goood, and so on.

Back to basics  : Leica lenses have been made by a great and well alive
manufacturer.

Thank you  Simon for your report..