Subject: [Leica] Cheap advice
From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 11:20:40 +0000

I've been talking about an adjustment that cure the rangefinder
patch images from being misaligned vertically -- one of them appears
above the other -- that is, on a different horizontal plane -- so
even though my focus may be dead on, I can never see the two images
line up perfectly no matter where I focus.

Are we referring to the same adjustment?

- - --Andrew
<<<<

I know the best adjustment for any of these ills. It's to call Sherry
Krauter and stop mucking about in the internals of your expensive
cameras when you don't even know which screw is which. <g>

Do you remember "interlocks" in the 1970s when American cars would not
start until the seatbelt was fastened? I read in the local paper at the
time of a man who went under the dash with a pair of wire snippers,
intent on disabling the interlock. After snipping the wrong wires three
times, he became angry, and in a frenzy he clipped every wire he could
find, determined to get at the interlock buzzer. When he was done he had
disabled even the car radio...but the interlock buzzer droned on.
Enraged, he went and got his shotgun, and began pumping rounds into the
front seat in the area of the seatbelt and the buzzer. The police
arrived to find the dishevelled man, the smoking shotgun, spent casings
everywhere, the car with a destroyed seat and dashboard...and the
interlock buzzer imperturbably buzzing away. I forget what the repair
bill was reported to be, but it was large. I do remember the hilarious
photograph in the paper of the shot-to-shreds front seat!

At the very least, pay a qualified repairperson to give you a firsthand,
in-person lesson as to how to do the adjustment yourself. Then you'll
know.

- --Mike