Subject: [Leica] A Leica lens question (135mm 2.8 -M)
From: Ruralmopics@aol.com
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 07:33:11 EST

I wonder if I could interrupt this film/developer discussion with a question
about Leicas -- specifically, the 135mm f 2.8 Elmarit for the M cameras. I'm
desiring a "true-telephoto" look from the Leica -- something with a little
more compression than the 90mm. It seems like the 135mm is the limit. I've
read some of the reviews of the new M-135mm (the F 3.4 I believe) but I don't
want to spend that kind of money.

So . . . what's the deal with the 2.8? What is the general opinion of this
lens. Is it worthy of the Leica name? (I get the sense that it isn't
completely up to par with the classics) Is it a performer? Sharp? Contrasty?
Does it produce pleasing images?

What about the way it works -- how it feels and handles? Assuming I'd use it
primarily on an M3 body, is it a practical lens. How about the finder. Is
that a distraction?

Also, is there one particular version to get or is my impression correct that
all the 2.8 variations are optically about the same? I do think having the
option of using 55mm filters would be an advantage since I have a 24mm as
well -- of course, OTOH, the hood for the 35mm takes series VII so maybe
that's a wash . . .

Share your wisdom and experience, please . . .

Bob (wants to reach out and touch someone -- photographically, that is)
McEowen