Subject: [Leica] A Leica lens question (135mm 2.8 -M)
From: Doug Herr <Telyt@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 08:07:21 -0500

So . . . what's the deal with the 2.8? What is the general opinion of this
lens. Is it worthy of the Leica name? (I get the sense that it isn't
completely up to par with the classics) Is it a performer? Sharp?
Contrasty?
Does it produce pleasing images?
<<<

Bob,

As far as I know they're optically the same as the R versions.  I'm using
an old R version (Wetzlar, concave rear element) and IMHO the images are
fully worthy of the Leica name.  There's a little softness in the corners
at f/2.8 but by f/4.0 the image detail and contrast is indistinguishable in
practical use from the 180 f/3.4 APO.  The transition from sharp to
out-of-focus is smooth and the out-of-focus areas are pleasing.  The later
version (Canada, convex rear element) is supposed to be better.

Doug Herr
Sacramento