Subject: Re: [Leica] incident
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 20:34:48 -0700

    Well I must confess that being told in one day that I am "incompetent"
and also "ignorant of the principles of exposure" just because I use a
incident meter has me some what peeved. While I am well used to near and
dear ones pointing out my many and varied flaws, it comes as some surprise
that people, to whom I have not been formally introduced, would so quickly,
and on such little provocation, speak so disparagingly of me.
   Now, if I was causing alarm at the local processor of slide film, if
people had to squint to discern detail in my highlights, or perhaps subjects
just shook their heads and walked despairingly away; then, I would bow my
head meekly and say " Et tu Fleming". Fortunately, this is not the
situation. My exposures are spot on (though I might concur that the
composition is a tad formal) unless I make a mistake: wrong ASA, as I have
two cameras with different films loaded; toothpaste on the dome, as I have a
young son, etc). Both reflective and incident meters have their strengths
and, of course, their weaknesses that one has to adjust for. I have used
both and like both but I do not like carrying both unless I need to. Both
meters do their duty and I do the rest. I am not a metering philistine when
I decide to carry an incident meter; nor, do I feel particularly
sophisticated when I use a spot meter.
    Now the fact that I, or anybody on this list, uses or does not use a
particular style of meter, or no meter at all for that matter, should not
lead others to speculate on my, or their, intelligence, competence or
ability. So na na na na. My Dad can cream your dad any day!

John (fit to be tied) Collier

Mr. Fleming, oh so charmingly, wrote:

> If you don't understand the principles of exposure, then go ahead and use an
> incident meter. Most times you'll get an acceptable result. You'll just
> never know why. But in part photography is about having fun, and if you just
> want to take pictures and are not interested in the techie stuff, that's
> fine- I for one am certainly not criticising.

What a master of the understatement!