Subject: [Leica] Image Management
From: "Rod Fleming" <rodfleming@sol.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 16:48:45 -0000

Hi

Gary D Whalen wrote

>Anyone have any information concerning database management of digitized
images?

I am looking for an image database/filing system so that when I convert
my transparencies to digital files I can easily view and search the
images.  I have a G4 so am only interested in Mac compatible databases.>>>

As it happens we are in the final stages of completing the design and
development of a searchable image database which will do exactly  what Gary
wants. It features automatic thumbnail generation and simple,
photographer-friendly forms for cataloguing the images. It is based on Web
technology, so it will run on any system.

The program, tentatively named Dynamic Image Library, was developed
initially for our own use but we will be putting it on the market. The aim
is to recover the development costs, not to make a fortune!  However, this
being Xmas, and my associate in this project having had to deliver his
Doctorate Dissertation, it will probably be sometime early in 2000 before we
have it ready for commercial use. (Our own Beta version is operating
perfectly as I type) It promises to be a low-cost, effective solution to
Gary's requirements.

I will update LUGgers in the New Year when we will be putting the database
up on our own site so that anyone can try it out.

Best

Rod