Subject: [Leica] Camera store R.I.P.
From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 09:24:45 +0000

>>>Sorry Jonathan, you're wrong.  What do you think the profit margin is
for a
dealer?  I'd guarantee you if you knew, you'd wonder why anyone is a
dealer
of photographic equipment.<<<

Bill is sure right about this, unfortunately. Dealer markup on some
medium-format brands is less than 5%, and even at that they can't
compete with the big discount mailorder houses because it's not a level
playing field--the mailorder houses get a lower cost basis. How would
you like to invest thousands in display stock for an eventual, one-time,
non-guaranteed 4% return? Hard to pay the overhead that way.

Traditional photo stores are being squeezed on every single front. Many
had, until recently, turned to used gear as their last refuge. eBay is
taking that away. And don't think this doesn't have an effect on the
hobby...over the years, one "leitmotif" of my own pleasures in
photography has been the enjoyment of hanging out at good old-time
camera stores, looking at the cool stuff and "talking shop" with the
guys. That's already becoming a thing of the past. And there is no
substitute for hands-on familiarity. (Why, for instance, would anybody
in their right minds buy a Leica M based only on the spec sheet?)

- --Mike