Subject: Re: [Leica] Camera store R.I.P.
From: Ruralmopics@aol.com
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 11:12:04 EST

It's been almost 20 years but I used to sell cameras retail. At one store I
only earned commission on used equipment but at another we got "spiffs" -- a
small commission on specific items sold. If we sold a filter we got 50 cents
(a Hoya multi-coated filter earned $1). A tripod either earned $5 or 5
percent, I can't remember which. Camera bags got a spiff as did binoculars,
slide projectors and darkroom equipment. Aftermarket zoom lenses almost
always got some kind of spiff. Cheap lenses like the $89 80-200 dejour
usually brought the the salesman $5-$10 per sale. In contrast, selling a $500
camera manufacturer's zoom earned you ZILCH, nada, nothing. There was
absolutely no commission on a Big Five (Canon-Nikon-Minolta-Olympus-Pentax)
camera and normal lens. Clearly, this was a case of the store owner
encouraging the salesmen to help HIM make money. I guess none of this is a
secret but it sure drove home the point to me that there is little money in
the high ticket stuff -- it's all in the little accessory items.

Bob (and I marvel at $40 caps) McEowen