Subject: [Leica] As I see it . . .
From: Ruralmopics@aol.com
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 13:38:36 EST

I'm a newcomer to Leica but here goes . . .

Speaking first of M cameras:

If Leica counted on pro shooters or even serious amatuer photographers to
support it, the company would have been gone years ago. I suspect that vast
majority of Leica cameras are sold to well-heeled folks with a certain degree
of sophistication to appreciate fine things. These are the same folks who buy
a Rolex when they could get what is arguably a "better" watch (keeps better
time) for a fraction of the cost. They may or may not be serious
photographers. The great number of "like new" M3, M2 and M4 bodies seen on
the used market seems to indicate that a lot of Leicas don't see much use.

Given this assumption, it would probably be sucicidal for Leica to replace
the M6 with a whizz-bang M camera. Imagine an electronic-shuttered, AE
operated M camera that sold for $1,000 or so. Where would be the allure in
that be for the traditional Leica customer. It might produce a short term
surge in sales but would likely turn off those seeking the tradition,
elegance and reserved sophistication that the traditional M camera offers.

Shooters on the other hand would welcome such a machine, whether it was made
by Leica, Minolta, Nikon or whoever. But as I proposed before, the small
cadre of professional photojournalists using Leica M cameras will not keep
the company afloat.

Regarding R cameras:
I really am not familiar enough with the R line to comment but I suspect that
SLRs -- leica or otherwise, simply do not appeal to the traditional
blue-blood Leica customer like a rangefinder does. In that sense the Leica R
cameras simply don't stand much of a chance. If the traditional customer base
doesn't embrace them, who will? Only those serious shooters who want Leica
glass on an SLR body. ANd again, there simply aren't enough serious shooters
out there to keep the company going -- certainly not at Leica prices.

The solution, such that it is, seems to me to be for Leica to continue doing
what it's doing, appealing to the money-is-no-object class while continuing
to offer products suitable for pros and serious amatuers. THe rumored
proliferation of imitation M cameras can only help. As more and more serious
shooters and professionals give rangefinders a try at least some are bound to
cross over to Leica -- especially if the lens mount is the same and they can
slowly incorporate Leica optics (probably purchased used) into their systems
and then eventually bodies . . .

In short, Leica's niche seems safe and secure to me. Any expectations that
the company will become the next Canon or Nikon, though, are hopeless . . .
That's not their place. In fact, I see the company's ONLY hope for survival
is to remain that exclusive counter at the camera shop. Cheapening the
product would be a recipe for destruction.

But geez, do they have to charge $40 for a lens cap!!!!???

Bob (I like Leica just the way it is  -- except for the $40 caps) McEowen