Subject: Re: [Leica] As I see it . . .
From: DFStein@aol.com
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 16:15:04 EST

In a message dated 11/13/99 1:53:33 PM, Ruralmopics@aol.com writes:

<< The solution, such that it is, seems to me to be for Leica to continue
doing
what it's doing, appealing to the money-is-no-object class while continuing
to offer products suitable for pros and serious amateurs >>

This is a sad approach.  I can't even think of an appropriate analogy.  Leica
evolved as a real camera to solve real photographic problems.  I'm guessing
it was not always so much more expensive than it's comparable quality
competitors.  No one is saying make this a cheap product.  But when your only
goal is exclusivity, your company will eventually loose its most creative
people.  As I noted in an earlier post, one of the key points of Konica,
Minolta, Nikon and Ricoh actually or perhaps coming out with new cameras is a
real love of photography and optics and what Leica should be standing for.
No one is saying don't make the world's finest lenses, but there is room to
innovate.  The corporate gurus know there is XXXXX times profit in inkjet
paper and one-time cameras over the new Konica Hexar RF-that isn't why it's
being produced.