Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica-R lens Question
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@hfx.andara.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 12:30:35 -0300

Francis:

A few of your questions have been answered already, but I will give you my
input.

There is no difference in weight between the chrome and black R-8 bodies.
This is probably confusion from the M lens line where the chrome lense
barrels have to be made out of brass, rather than aluminum.  The R8 top
covers are both zinc.

As for the 35mm lenses, the Summicron R is still considered the best 35mm
lens in the SLR world.  Unless you need the speed, the 35mm Summilux is a
waste of money.  The price of the zoom is high enough that you could have
both 35mm and 90mm Summicrons at a stop faster for probably less.  The
Summicrons can be bough used at quite reasonable prices as well.

Another option is the 35-70 F4 macro which tests to be a fine performer,
and has some macro capability as well.

A discussion of Leica lenses can be seen at:

http://www.imx.nl/photosite/leica/leicahome.html

Your decision on lenses all depends on what you will be using them for.  A
fast lens is not needed for taking scenics or general photography, while a
slower zoom can be harder to focus in less than ideal light.

Regards,

Robert