Subject: RE: [Leica] Street shooting
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 10:09:12 -0500

At 08:56 AM 9/22/99 -0400, Lee, Ken wrote:
>I enjoy observing people and I sometimes do it with my Leica. Would my
>pictures be better some how if I could talk to the people? Any tips other
>than practice (I am working on that one) on how to improve your people
>pictures when you don't want to get involved personally with your subjects?

Getting involved and just being pleasant are two different things. I know
it's hard. I, at one time believe it or not, was a painfully shy person. It
took quite some time before I was comfortable walking up to people and
talking to them about making pictures, or whatever. In fact, now that I've
forced myself to do it until it becomes a natural thing, I'm more able to
strike up conversations with people all the time. On my flight out to San
Diego last week I got talking with some guys who it turns out are helping
start up a new basketball team in Albuquerque, NM, and a city councilman
from that town. The interesting conversation make the flight go much faster.

So I guess the main point is, have a purpose. "Hello, I'm an
[amateur/professional] photographer and I would like to make your picture
[breathing fire/eating watermelon/clowning around/playing baseball/kissing
your pig/jumping off your roof/painting]..." whatever you find works for you.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO

http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Men say they know many things; but lo! they have taken wings