Subject: RE: [Leica] Street shooting
From: "Paul Klingaman" <pklingaman@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 15:03:08 GMT

Lee,

It's hard to do initially.  In fact, the first few times are by far the
toughest.  At first you'll studder, and not know exactly what to say.
Before you know it, you'll just find yourself curious about people, and
wanting to know more, asking them all sorts of questions.  They will begin
to sense your sincerity, and pretty soon you'll be in business.  If you get
a bad egg, grin and bear it, and move on.  Try to start with a special
event.  One where most people are out having a good time.  Even the biggest
grump wants to talk and mingle with people at a 4th of July parade.  Start
with people that look like they'd be receptive.  I've found that usually the
elderly, or young men and women don't mind the attention.  Sit down and
actually talk to your subject.  Your images will reflect the heart you put
into making them.  You don't have to get personal with your subjects, just
don't make them feel like you're going to use them and be on your way.  You
get what you give.

Good luck and enjoy,
Paul Klingaman