Subject: Re: [Leica] Darkroom Equipment-Fiber
From: "Paul Klingaman" <pklingaman@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 14:51:38 GMT

Anne,

Good move.  I bet you'll find yourself falling in love with the mere feel of
fiber paper, just as you did when you first held that leica body.  I can't
tell you much about Jobo processing of fiber paper, but here's what I can
tell you:

1. You definitely need an decent wash for the prints.  Personally, I print
11x14, and do 3 prints at a time.  I do just fine with a tray and a syphon
washer.  If you do higher volumes than this, I'd suggest an archival washer.
  From what I've heard, they work exceptionally well, and also conserve
water.  They are pricey, though.  The "fish tank" fru-fru type washers are
nice, but I hear they break easier than the mold poly types.  Look into
versalab washers at www.versalab.com/server/photo/products/washer1.htm.  As
soon as it's in my budget, this is what I'm going with.

2. Another worthwhile investment is a dry mount press.  Fiber paper can be
hard to dry flat, especially in sizes 8x10 and larger.  Many people will
tell you that hanging them to dry, or drying on screens works for them.
Those methods didn't work well enough for me.  There are also some chemicals
that you can buy that claim to help with this.  I have found these to be
very expense, and not do a damn thing.  My dry mount press has made drying
fiber prints flat a breeze.  The downside is that they can be quite
expensive.  My advice would be to go to www.photo.net, and click on
classifieds, then darkroom.  Place a "wanted to buy" ad for a dry mount
press.  I did this, and within a week, I hooked up with a nearly brand new
11x14 Technal press for $50.  Days later I got offers for similar presses
for $125-200.  Stay away from new presses or Ebay "deals" here, unless of
course you have a large budget.

3. I don't use a densitometer, but I can give you some other advice, which
I'm sure you're already familiar with, but I'll note anyway.  Fiber paper
requires more time in each bath.  I read somewhere that it takes most
liquids at least 15 seconds more to penetrate into the fiber paper.  No
longer can you give a quick stop bath, like you can with RC.  Stick to the
recommended times given from your processing chemical manufacturers, and
you'll be fine.

4. Tone your prints!  Aside from the asthetic advantages(and ohhhh, these
are nice), the whole point of using fiber is for archivability.  So go the
extra yard and tone.  I use selenium 1:25 for 4 minutes.  Experiment and
find what works best for you, it's worth it.

Good luck, and have a blast with fiber paper.  You'll wonder why you hadn't
made the switch sooner.

Best regards,
Paul Klingaman