Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Photo Vultures (didtoday,getalife) [no Leica]
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 22:31:57 -0500

At 10:04 PM 9/21/99 -0500, Paul Schiemer wrote:
>See, that's where I believe you missed the point I was trying to make:
>It's not the taking of the photo but the use of it afterward.
>In a public place it is one thing to acquire an image, but, prior to it
>being published, if you are informed by the subject of the photograph they
>do NOT want it used, then you have a responsibility to acquiesce to the
>request.

Not in the US. That's called prior restraint, and is unconstitutional here.
But you are right in one point. Never do I ever edit in camera. I may
choose later not to use a picture for a variety of reasons. But if I don't
have it, I can't use it. But just because someone doesn't want me to use a
picture that is legitimately news (or not, but that's another topic) is
immaterial. If it is news, then with good judgement or not (hoping I will
always use good judgement like I did for this situation), I have every
right to use it - legally.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO

http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is
that it has never tried to contact us."  - Calvin and Hobbes