Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Photojournalistic integrity and masking
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 23:44:57 -0500

At 06:30 PM 9/14/99 -0700, Joe Codispoti wrote:
>A local photojournalist found himself in a lot of trouble when a published
>photo of an auto accident scene showed in the foreground a beer can which
>may or may not have been part of the accident. He was accused of *placing*
>the can in order to make the photo more dramatic.

There have been photographers who were notorious for doing that. Or placing
a teddy bear near an accident where a kid was killed. Or a shoe. Whatever.
There will always be dishonest people in every profession. Some from
naivete, some from pure lack of integrity.

When I was a kid, I never cheated at games after I figured out if I did, I
would never be satisfied with the win. Guess that's one reason I like
photojournalism. People can be fired for lying.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO

http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Common sense is that layer of prejudices laid down in the mind prior to the
age of eighteen. - Albert Einstein