Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Photojournalistic integrity and masking
From: "Joe Codispoti" <joecodi@thegrid.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 18:30:06 -0700

While in photo school, one day a student asked the instructor "how far could
one go in using the retouching brush". "Hell" said the instructor. "if you
think you are that good, you can put the camera away and build me the whole
picture with your spotting brush".
During the OJ trial, Time magazine printed OJ's photo on the cover after
darkening it considerably (no doubt to make him look more sinister).

Certainly it is unethical to manipulate an image with the intent of
maligning the intended victim but quite acceptable and desirable if not
compulsory to manipulate a portrait as necessary to the satisfaction of the
client.

A local photojournalist found himself in a lot of trouble when a published
photo of an auto accident scene showed in the foreground a beer can which
may or may not have been part of the accident. He was accused of *placing*
the can in order to make the photo more dramatic.

The photojournalist must be impartial in his/her portrayal of a given
circumstance.
The rest of us are free to dramatize a photo by the use of filters,
selective focus, computers, and chemical devices in the name of artistic
license.

Joseph Codispoti