Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: E.Adams & Vietnam Photo
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 00:39:56 -0500

At 07:59 PM 9/13/99 -0400, TSL wrote:
>The impact is no doubt that instant which is so powerful.  To be quite
>honest - and this is a personal opinion that's all - there are not many
>pictures that can have that kind of impact.

All I can say to this is, you just don't see it. It's not that it isn't
there in many, many pictures. I'm sure you're telling the truth. But just
because you don't see it doesn't mean it's not there. And judging from
people's reactions (both pro and amateur) I'd say you are in the minority.
(Not a bad thing, just the way it is).

Ernst Haas' picture of the woman fearfully holding up a picture of a loved
one as refugees from WWII come back home. Or Sebastiao Salgado's pictures
of Ethiopian refugees standing in a sand storm, with the most amazing light
surrounding them, a child's head tilted slightly. David Douglas Duncan's
photo of the shell-shocked soldier. David Turnley's photo of the soldier in
the evacuation helicopter during the gulf war. His fact stricken with grief
because he just found out the person in the body bag next to him is a friend.

Eisenstadt's photos of the ballerinas in the window, or the kids falling
into line behind the drum major - or even his sailor kissing the nurse.
Many of the photos in "The Americans" by Robert Frank. Migrant Mother.
(Don't even need to mention the photographer's name on that one). Kertesz's
night photo of snow falling in Washington Park.

Gene Smith's Minimata photo essay. Most likely one of the most successful
photo essays of all time. (And the one he most "compromised" on without
complaint).

Robert Capa's death of a soldier.

For those with eyes to see, it's quite plain that photography is a powerful
medium. That can create icons that change the way people see the world.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO

http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Politics: Poli (many) - tics (blood sucking parasites)