Subject: Re: [Leica] Minilux quality & value?
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 13:59:46 +0200

Richard,

I had a Minilux for a few weeks last year but sold it again. The reason?
While the lens was wonderful, I found the ergonomics of the camera to be
really bad. In particular two things: (1) As with most P&S cameras, the
Minilux's default flash mode is AUTO; if you want to turn off the flash, you
have to press a tiny button 7 times, and to make it worse, the setting is
not saved, so that when you turn the camera on again, it goes back to AUTO;
(2) Exposure compensation, on the other hand, is saved even when you turn
the camera off, making it very easy to forget that you have it on. I had
several other quibbles of this type, for example, the combination of the
ON/OFF switch with the aperture dial.

These criticisms may not be relevant for your wife, it depends on her usage
pattern. In general, if she uses the camera on automatic most of the time,
the Minilux is a fine choice. But if she frequently wants to exercise some
measure of control, another P&S such as a Ricoh GR1 is a better (and
cheaper) choice.

Nathan

"Richard J. Wyble" wrote:

> How is the Leica Minilux regarded in comparison with other P&S cameras?
> My wife smashed her Nikon a few days ago and is looking for something to
> replace it -- zoom not required.
>
>   rwyble@erols.com
>   Richard J. Wyble

- --