Subject: Re: [Leica] advice
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 23:50:45 +0200

Chris,

The non-TTL M6s are no cheaper than the TTL models, provided you can find
one. Particularly the 0.85 non-TTL version is regarded by some dealers as a
future collectible (only about 3100 were made) and the price is actually
higher than the TTL version.

If you are buying new, it makes no sense to buy outside the USA, as the
prices are low there and you get the Passport warranty. When buying used, do
not assume that you will need a CLA. I bought one of my M6s used (I bought
it last year, and it is from 94) and it was just fine. In fact, I am quite
convinced that most M6s will not require a CLA unless they have belonged to
people like Ted (who lets cows poop on them) or Tina (who takes them to the
Central American rain forests).

The newest ASPH lenses will show improvement over the older ones primarily
at the widest apertures. So, if you shoot at f5.6 anyway, you will not see
any difference between new and old in actual use ("old" meaning anything
from the 1960s onwards). There are no real dogs in the M lens line.

Well-regarded shops in New York include B&H Photo and Tamarkin. There may be
others. B&H and the other megavolume stores are not conducive to leisurely
browsing, though. They are more for people who know what they want. You
should consider buying by mail order anyway; if you buy them in person in
NYC you will get hit with the 8.25% sales tax. A good place to start are the
dealers who advertise here on the LUG, such as Sam Shoshan or Pat McKee.
Both are great guys to deal with and have good prices.

Happy shopping!

Nathan

Chris Madigan wrote:

> Hi,
> I  have just added my name to  the LUG list and received a ton of
> interesting email and learned some things to boot. I mostly work with a
> Nikon FM2 and F3HP but also use a Leica M-3 with 50mm  Summicron,
> shooting lots of chromes and black and white. I have recently re
> acquired a desire for an M-6 (primarily for the simplicity of in camera
> metering) and I am trying to decide what to get. I prefer using natural
> light so I suspect that I don't need the new TTL system (which I am
> assuming is geared to using flash?)  and can save a few hundred dollars.
> Other questions have to do with USA passport vs imported direct or even
> buying overseas, and new vs demo or used. The $ is less for used but
> then there is the up coming cleaning and adjustment which will be needed
> and seems to come to almost what the savings are for buying used.  Same
> with lenses- new vs used. What is the improvement of the Asph lenses?
> The kit that I'd like to have is the black M-6 with a 35/f 2 Suummicron
> M, a 90/f 2 or 2.8  and perhaps a 50. The 50 that I already have is
> naturally chrome.Cost is an important factor, but if I am going to do
> this I don't want to be penny  wise and pound foolish as they say.  I am
> very open to your suggestions.
> I am in southern New Hampshire and would probably travel to New York (
> which I can do in a day) to find the best price. Any preference on who
> to use , or not?
>
> I hear that I can get better pricing by coming in at a "Leica Day" when
> the rep is there making a big push.
>
> Thanking you in advance.
> Sincerely Yours,
> Chris Madigan