Subject: Re: [Leica] advice
From: "TSL" <eno22@enter.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 1999 18:58:52 -0400

<SNIP>
>The kit that I'd like to have is the black M-6 with a 35/f 2 Suummicron
> M, a 90/f 2 or 2.8  and perhaps a 50. The 50 that I already have is
> naturally chrome.Cost is an important factor, but if I am going to do
> this I don't want to be penny  wise and pound foolish as they say.  I am
> very open to your suggestions.
> I am in southern New Hampshire and would probably travel to New York (
> which I can do in a day) to find the best price. Any preference on who
> to use , or not?
>
> I hear that I can get better pricing by coming in at a "Leica Day" when
> the rep is there making a big push.

buying new passport stuff is nothing you will regret for sure.  If you
simply don't have the funds and you want to do this now then the choice is a
bit more obvious.  but if you 'do' have the funds - i.e. you can do this
without a catastrophic result - go for the no penny pound foolly thinking.
[Nobody here on the Lug has ever spent money on Leica gear unless the
purchase was fully justifiable in both the rational and economic sense.]
archive
it's a perfect example of buy it and when the money spent becomes a
non-issue (could take months, years...) a bit further down you most likely
will not second thought this.  what?  are you going to think that you
could've spent the money on something else?  Bills?  that's a different
case.  there's a tendency to buy something or do something multiple times
because of compromising in varying ways.  this is a generally speaking
thing, but I guess my point is that if you spend more than you want to in
this case, you'll be fulfilled (for about a week then another one pops up
and it never ends and you know...).  In light of this what about a passport
M6 black (no hm or ttl I assume) then wait  1-2 weeks and just let it sit
there.
Then go and get the 35 summicron asph.
(sell some stuff to help out, as always)  In (hopefully a ) short while you
will not be shooting with this and second guessing your decision.
if affordable, it's a sure win situation to get the M6 35/2 asph.  Wait a
while and then get that current 50 summicronorlux.  I guess I should note
that this may or may not be practical advice. just keep in mind that buying
the newer asph, etc, you will have a good thing going, no?