Subject: RE: [Leica] Backup camera or more Leica glass?
From: "Jean-Claude Berger" <jcberger@imaginet.fr>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 11:06:54 +0200

Hi Paul,

Some months ago, I was in Ardêche, a region of France where the
landscapes and villages are at least as beautiful than those of
Riviera are but where there is (still) some free space. In a small
village, there was a little square with a commemorative monument of
the two World Wars (as in each village of France) with a cute little
church in the background. The widest Leica lens I had at that time was
a 35 mm. The monument and the church were placed such a way I could
not get the two at the same time on the picture. I could not go back
either because the square was too small and 2 meters higher than the
road. That's why I decided to buy a 21 or 24 mm (I finally made my
mind for the 24). If someday, I'm back to that place, I'll be able to
make an otherwise impossible picture. Yes, I do have a 24 and even a
18 mm in my Nikon system but I'm not ready to carry all day long 2
Leica bodies (M5 and M6) with some lenses *plus* two Nikon bodies and
some lenses (two of each because I do color and BW pictures).

Later I could not resist buying a third body, a mint M4-P. What did it
bring to me? Well only the ability to have two different BW films at
the same time (100 ISO for landscape and fine (?) art and 400 for
street photography). That's something. I do enjoy being able to
suddenly decide to shoot people instead of places without having to
unload a reload a body with another film. But :

1) That does not allow me to take new kind of pictures like buying the
24 did.

2) It's economically stupid. As another lugger wrote, you can spill a
lot of unexposed film for the price of a third body.

3) I love my M4-P (I find it smoother than the M6) but I should have
bought a M6HM instead.

Of course, I do not regret the third body but if I had to choose
between it and a new (useful) lens, I would choose the lens.

All the best.

 ---
 Jean-Claude Berger (jcberger@jcberger.com)
 Systems and RDBMS consultant (MCSE), Lyon, France
 http://www.jcberger.com