Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Darkroom to Digital and unrelated matters
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 10:53:09 -0700

Ken Wilcox wrote:

> At 10:36 PM 8/5/99 +1000, you wrote:
> >Hey guys,
> >
> >Anybody going to stand up for the darkroom?
>
> I have no intention of switching to digital so I can't comment on the
> supposed "advantages." But then I don't have to meet deadlines or produce
> huge quantities of prints.
>
> I do have a long term concern with digital- that of longevity. I have a box
> full of wire recordings in my garage. Can anyone "convert" them? Tried
> reading an 8" floppy lately?
>
> Yes, I know that digital storage can be converted to new media when storage
> devices change. The question is "Will they be converted"? I suspect than
> many fine images will be lost.
>
> Ken Wilcox
They are now being burned onto CD's for a buck just like music is played on and
Zip's and Jazz Drives all Media which upgrades fluidly. If you had some Tiffs on
some floppies and went out and got an iMac with no floppy you'd have to bring it
to Kinkos or somewhere to put them onto a Zip or whatever you had. So no stuff
wont get lost that way.
But it is magnetic media so if a nuke goes off or you put them down near a
magnetic thing like a speaker it could get erased. And they would just gradually
disappear like everything does anyway.
Mark Rabiner