Subject: [Leica] Re: Opportunities for cost savings, was: Leica Newsletter XXIX
From: "Roger Beamon" <roger@beamon.org>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 08:46:10 -0700

On 30 Jul 99, Lucien wrote, at least in part:

> snip
> > As a first core measure the cost of materials of
> > Leica Camera AG will be re-duced in the short and medium term.
> > This will be achieved on the one hand by the reduction of the
> > additional use of materials.
> > Due to the production process and the materials used,
> > a substantial volume of waste occurs at the Company.
> > In this respect, opportunities for cost savings exist
> > without endangering the high demands with regard to the quality
> > of the products. Thus alternative materials and production processes,
> > with which the necessary quality can be achieved without the use of
> > additional materials, will be applied increasingly. Furthermore, the
> > Company has increased its standards for suppliers in order to ensure
> > that less waste will occur due to faulty parts.
> snip

This "additional use of materials" and "additional materials" bit has
me confused. Are they saying the'll use less expensive materials,
use smaller numbers of parts through redesign, or a combination
of both?

I'd try reading this myself, aber mein Deutsch ist krank! It would
take too long to wade through it.

> > As a fifth measure, the efficiency of the technical after sales
> > service will be improved through reorganisation and a closer
> > linking with the sales function.

> snip

That'll be nice. A company the size of Leica shouldn't be having
problems in those areas to begin with. Something about the
benefits of being small.

It all sounds like corporatese [sic] to me. Good reading for the
stockholders.

- --
Roger
mailto:roger@beamon.org

    Whether you think you can or you think you can't,
     you're right!
               -- Henry Ford