Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Re: Special Edition M6s
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 14:31:26 +0200

Mark,

My reference to Leica's profit margin on the commemorative editions is based on an
assumption that if the production cost of those is not much higher than that of a
regular
M6, and if Leica is earning a normal margin of, say, 30% on an M6, than we can infer
that the production cost is $1000-1200. So, if they can sell the special edition for
$3500
then the margin would be something around 200%. Obviously, no knowing the exact costs
I am just guessing here, but I am pretty sure that I am in the ballpark.

As for my decision to sell a couple of M lenses, as you say, I do not have to justify
it to
anyone--these are my lenses and I am spending my own money. But in case prospective
purchasers are wondering, here goes. Neither of the two lenses has let me down in any
way, they are both superb. But they are part of an M outfit that includes 15, 24, 35,
50 (both
Summicron and Noctilux), 75 and 135mm lenses. Between all these lenses and the three M
bodies
my Billingham bag is getting a bit heavy! So, to lighten the bag I want to replace the
two longest
lenses with the new 90mm Summicron. No, I have not tested it myself, but Erwin has and
that is
good enough for me. I have bought other lenses based on his recommendations and have
never
regretted it. The fact that I now have a Leicaflex outfit also plays a part in
reducing my need for
a 135mm lens for the M. What is wrong with adjusting one's outfit to suit evolving
needs? After
all, one of the frequently mentioned advantages of Leica lenses and cameras is that
they do not
suffer the steep depreciation normally experienced with other brands, making it
possible to do
exactly what I am doing right now--selling off some stuff to buy other stuff. And no,
I have not
discovered zooms. I have recently bought a nice 2.8/180mm Elmarit R and will add other
long
lenses as the wallet permits.

I do not think that any of this is "frivolous". If you find it so, that is your
problem, not mine.

Nathan

Mark Rabiner wrote:

> I really don't have any big problem with collecting. I value Leica stuff for
> other use not just have.
> Here though Nathan you are making inferences about Leica's profit margin on this
> enamel deal while you sell your off exquisite  135mm Apo Telyt that you bought
> yesterday and your exquisite 75mm Summilux to buy an untried and tested by
> yourself new 90mm Summicron. That could be considered more frivolous than most
> collecting.  You say your new  Leicaflex situation has enabled you to reshuffle
> your long M lenses in this manner so you are selling/consolidating!
> No one forces you to justify yourself of course. But to me this sounds rather
> off handed. These are powerful tools you are tossing back at us have you
> discovered Zooms? Tell us about your great new R telephoto's that could possible
> enable you to part with the 75mm Summilux and 135mm Apo Telyt so matter of
> factly. (See his other post) This is a discussion group. Some of us would rather
> quickly take these find tools off your hands than hear why they no longer
> satisfy you. Me, I'd like to know how they've let you down. Or have they?
> Mark Rabiner

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium