Subject: [Leica] Reward Offered: Stolen Leica M6TTL.72 SILVER CHROME #2471587
From: "L. K. Nicholson" <nicleok@sdllc.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 23:48:01 -0500

Dear Mr. Wajsman:

Thank you very much for your response about the Stolen Leica:

> Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 09:32:43 +0200
> From: Nathan Wajsman
> Subject: Re: [Leica] Reward Offered: Stolen Leica M6TTL.72 SILVER CHROME #2471587
>
> Leonard,
>
> I sympathize with your loss. However, isn't Airborne supposed to make good
> on it? I thought that one of reasons for using these private delivery firms
> as opposed to the Post Office is that your shipment is insured. Or is
> Airborne different from DHL or UPS in this respect?
>
> Nathan

And you're ABSOLUTELY correct.  Airborne is supposed to make good on
it........but.........I think that they're crawfishing on this one --
apparently claiming in telephone conversations that it was beyond their
control.  Yeh.  Right.  Here are their written responses so far:

1.

> Subject:
>          AIRBILL# 0003125961683
>     Date:
>          Thu, 22 Jul 1999 17:31:00 -0700
>    From:
>          JAMES.HARVEY@airborne.com
>      To:
>          NICLEOK@SDLLC.COM
>

> Thank you for your inquiry.  Unfortunately, our tracking
> records indicate this package may have been lost.  A loss
> claim was filed on July 19, 1999.  The reference number
> for this claim is 07193215.
>
> Please accept my sincere apologies for this frustrating
> experience.

[ Please not that he said that it was "lost" and a "loss" claim was
filed.  Being "lost" and having a "loss" can be two distinct things just
like civil liability is different from criminal liability.]

My response to #1:

>                Re: AIRBILL# 0003125961683
>          Date:
>                Thu, 22 Jul 1999 21:27:00 -0500
>         From:
>                "L. K. Nicholson"
>            To:
>                JAMES.HARVEY@airborne.com
>            CC:
>                Lynne Greco ,
>                "Carl Derderian@Park Square Camera"
>

> Dear Mr. Harvey:
>
> Thank you for the information:
>
> JAMES.HARVEY@airborne.com wrote:
>
> > Thank you for your inquiry.  Unfortunately, our tracking
> > records indicate this package may have been lost.  A loss
> > claim was filed on July 19, 1999.  The reference number
> > for this claim is 07193215.
> >
> > Please accept my sincere apologies for this frustrating
> > experience.
>
> However, I would very much appreciate a more complete explanation.  Was
> it lost?  Or Stolen?  If it was lost, please provide me with a clearly
> written explanation as to how an overnight package with a tracking
> number can completely disappear from the planet as if Scotty beamed it
> out of there.  I could understand if it was misdirected -- lost,  I
> cannot fathom.
>
> I can also understand if it were stolen.  For example, if I were given a
> package to deliver to Boston overnight and I wrote back to my client and
> said that I lost it, I am quite sure that client would believe that I
> stole it -- to merely say that it was lost is a juvenile explanation at
> best, and one that I am not willing to accept.
>
> Therefore, this is to request that you provide me with a clearly written
> explanation of the details surrounding my camera being purloined by
> persons or persons unknown while tendered in your care.
>
> I am offering a reward for the Leica M6 TTL SILVER CHROME that was
> stolen -- please refer to <http://www.sdllc.com/m6reward/> for further
> details.
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> With every good wish, I am,
>
> Sincerely yours,
> --
>
> Leonard K. Nicholson

2.

>     Date:
>          Fri, 23 Jul 1999 10:37:00 -0700
>    From:
>          JAMES.HARVEY@airborne.com
>      To:
>          NICLEOK@SDLLC.COM
>

> Please accept my sincere apologies for this frustrating
> experience.  Our records indicate this situation is still
> being researched.  The reference number for this action
> is 07193215.

And here is the Airborne Express shipping record:  See

<http://www.airborne-express.com/cgi-bin/AirbillTrace?ShipmentNumber=3125961683>

As you can see, the package just disappeared!  It went NOWHERE overnight
express!

I have a very funny feeling that I am getting the big corporate run
around here.

If you by pure chance happen upon this camera, please let me know for it
was supposed to be a Birthday present to my daughter.

Subsequent to this unfortunate event, Mr. Carl at Park Square Camera and
Photo in Boston, MA has sent me another one for her.  This one has no RF
alignment problems!    (I paid for both so as not to stiff Mr. Carl whom
I have been doing business with for over 10 years now and I highly
recommend his stalwart services.  Mr. Carl has NEVER let me down and has
always been there when I needed him.  I am VERY grateful to him for all
of his kind help and assistance, and I have asked that he distribute to
the other Leica camera shops in the Boston. MA area my reward offer
posted at <http://www.sdllc.com/m6reward/> ).

I will be requesting Airborne Express to post my reward and to also
match it next week (bet you they won't match it!), but from
conversations that I have had with them, I think they're ready to stiff
me. This is just my gut feeling, and my wife very much hopes that I am
wrong!

If you're interested, I'll be sure to keep you posted on the progress.

My advice about shipping things:  CAVEAT SHIPPER! or if you ship enough
stuff, a bad thing will happen to you.

Thanks for your inquiry.

With every good wish, I am,

Sincerely yours,
- --

Leonard K. Nicholson
Operating Manager

                       STRUCTURED DEVELOPMENT LLC
                      2323 WEST BAINBRIDGE STREET
                               Suite 100
                     Kenner, Louisiana  70062-4108

                Tel. (504)468-9400  ·  Fax (504)467-8571
                          http://www.sdllc.com