Subject: [Leica] Re: UK magazines
From: apbc <apbc@public1.sta.net.cn>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 99 11:38:21 +0800

To redress the balance I think it only fair to point out that Britain
does also put out Darkroom User, Professional Photographer and the
redoubtable BJP (British Journal of Photography) which compare favourably
with anything in the field out of the US.

Comparisons may be odious but before flinging mud at Amateur Photographer
I would also draw attention to Petersons Photographic and Shutterbug as
preeminent US sources for the worse than useless type of equipment
reviews AP aspires to. Unlike PP and SB, AP does regularly show great
photographs too: the HCB special being just one of many. I don't remember
ever seeing a great photograph in Shutterbug, which must surely have the
space and the budget to include them. And if AP's lasses are 'B' what
about SB's???

FWIW I subscribe to SB (for the ads), to Darkroom User, Photo Techniques
(US), American Photographer (won't renew my sub to this though), PDN, and
of course LHSA's Viewfinder. When in UK I might buy AP for the ads or the
listings.

Bests from sunny Shanghai (35 deg. C)

Adrian Bradshaw
Editorial and Corporate Photography