Subject: Re: [Leica] why leica?
From: "Bill Larsen" <ohlen@lightspeed.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 12:11:01 -0700

Guy Bennett writes:

>can you say, concisely, why you do use leica? what is it exactly about
>these cameras that appeals to you? let's try to avoid the hyperbole of the
>fanatic devotee and explain why we choose this camera over another.

Inertia?  Force of habit?

I bought my first new Leica (M3) when I was 23.  It seemed a logical
progression from Kodak box> old Kodak folder> Ansco folder> Minolta A>
Rolleicord> Speed Graphic> Rolleiflex> Olympus Pen F.  By buying into the M
system in 1967 and more or less maintaining and adding to it over the years, I
have accumulated quite a bit of Leica equipment --- a few bits at a time --- I
have never had a Leica that became non-functional in the sense that you could
not take a picture --- inconvenient, yes, (I have a terrible time remembering
which frame I am on when the film counter dies).  The M system is like an old
friend --- I have a good idea of what I can expect from the equipment,
particularly the lenses.

To mangle the words of the late, great, Harry S. Truman --- when I take a
technically bad picture, it is my fault and the "buck stops here."  (We won't
talk about artistic elements of the pix '-)).  I have tried electronic
cameras, but they only confirmed that "the machine will get you" --- usually
at the most critical time.

Regards, Bill Larsen