Subject: Re: [Leica] Eastman (ie KODAK) thief?
From: Bill Laidley <laidley@direct.ca>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 21:17:15 -0700

As I recall the patent on flexible film was owned by GAF. GAF sued, the
court case lasted decades, GAF went bankrupt 2 or 3 times during the
lawsuit, but eventually prevailed. An important lesson was learned at
Kodak
- - steal what you want, and you will be sued and probably lose. On the
other hand, the settlement has often been less than the profits earned
with the stolen technology. The end result is still profitable for
Kodak.
A similar thing happened with Polaroid when Kodak started selling
instant
cameras. Polaroid won the suit, but Kodak made the profit.

>At 07:12 AM 9/13/99 -0400, Paul Schiemer wrote:
>>Now that's a new one. Never heard this gem; maybe you could illuminate the
>>uninformed among us (me)?
>
>When I was doing research on the history of photojournalism technology in
>grad. school, I came across this gem in a history book. (That was 14 years
>ago! Please don't ask me to remember. My paper that I wrote is packed away.
>Remind me after I move and I'll try to dig up the reference for you.)
>
>George Eastman did not invent flexible film (the backing) that
>revolutionized roll film. It was invented by some obscure gentleman.
>Eastman violated his copyright and made millions with his box camera. The
>man sued in court and Eastman paid him $1,000,000 to allow Kodak to
>continue to use film. That's if I remember it all correctly. Like I said,
>ask me after I settle in to my new digs.
>
>Eric Welch
>St. Joseph, MO

- --
Bill Laidley