Subject: Re: [Leica] ideal SINGLE lens for M6HM
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 1999 01:34:01 -0700

4season wrote:

> InfinityDT@aol.com wrote:
> >
> > In a message dated 7/2/99 4:41:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time, fls@san.rr.com
> > writes:
> >
> > << I would like everyone's opinion on what would be the ONE SINGLE lens
> >  that you would carry with an M6 0.85 >>
> >
> > One of the primary reasons I still use the Leica is the range of lenses.
>
> You took the words right out of my mouth: Stripped of the versatility
> offered by a choice of lens focal lengths, in conjunction with those
> magic frame lines, it's just a pretty good compact camera costing far
> too much. I'd replace the M6 with a Nikon FM10 outfit. The only
> point-and-shoot cameras that really get me excited are the Fuji
> autofocus 6x4.5s, but they're really not available-light cameras.
>
> Jeff

The logic of this escapes me.
When I used to shoot with Nikons and I went out for a walk I went with
one body with a lens in most cases.
Before it was Nikons, now it's Leica M.
A Leica and a lens is now worse than a Nikon with one lens? Leica only
excels as a system?
Why and how could that all of a sudden be the case?
If you'd just as soon carry a point and shoot as a Leica M with one lens
don't lower the camera itself to your own aspirations.
It's not like your talking about some extream high speed zoom you have
on your Nikon that isn't reproducible on an M.
I can't figure out why only one lens on a Leica is more limiting than
only one lens on a Nikon.
I've often been in both situations and I now for a number of reasons
just prefer Leica M because it is IMO a far better camera with far
better glass.
A "camera" is much less of a big deal than a "Kit" to deal with having
with you all day. Your "system" is simplified.
Just because you are out with only one lens doesn't mean you are in the
point and shoot relme. Why would it. Many of the more serious cameras
had non interchangeable lenses a Rolleiflex comes to mind.

I find having the 50 Summicron on my camera most often works for me so
it is often my only lens. It is lightweight and can feel wide or tele
depending on how it's used. A wide is easy but there's never any
formality. The frames on a 50 I can see with my glasses not removed.
Mark Rabiner