Subject: [Leica] Report from Tokyo
From: "Kobrin, Stephen" <KobrinS@wharton.upenn.edu>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 04:33:57 -0400

As someone remarked when I asked about shopping for Leica equipment in Tokyo
on the LUG about a month ago, the Japanese economic problems are not very
visible at street level.  They also do not seem to have affected camera
prices or any other prices for that matter.

My survey was limited to about four shops in the Ginza area, so better
bargains may well be available elsewhere.  In general, I found prices for
used equipment to be on the high side, even factoring in the fact that most
of it was in very nice condition.  That was true as well for Nikon and Canon
LTM lenses.  A Canon 35mm/f2 was about $400, for example.  Bodies seemed to
be priced well above what one would find them for in the US, some
outrageously so.  In short, no deals, at least where I looked.

The one exception was an M6 .85 TTL for about $1900 new, and not gray
market.  However, I have not shopped for an M6 in the US and do not know if
the advertised prices hold.  As a tourist, you are exempt from the sales
tax.

However, after reading Tom Abrahamsson's article in the recent Viewfinder I
did spring for the Cosina/Voightlander 25mm Snap-Shot Skopar.  It appears
very well made and came to just over $300 with a cash discount.  I have not
shot film with it yet, but it fits on my IIIf nicely and even with the built
in shade does not block the viewfinder.  It comes in chrome and black and
even though I liked the black better, I went for the chrome as the markings
are easier for me to see without my glasses.  The viewfinder is also well
made -- plastic -- and nice and clear.

The instructions are in Japanese and I will have to get them translated to
figure out filter sizes.  While the lens is threaded, it is hard to see how
one would get a filter in or out, given the shade extension.  The cap slips
on to the end of the shade, and the filters may also.  However, that would
seem to be an imperfect solution.

As I am off the LUG while traveling, please respond to my email address if
you have any information about the Skopar.

Steve