Subject: Re: [Leica] Black & white film
From: Kip Babington <cbabing3@swbell.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 11:07:04 -0600

FIGLIO4CAP@aol.com wrote:

> Anyone know what happened to H & W film.  Are they still in business?
> Bob Figlio

I think the company is long gone.  I last used H&W Control Film in about
1972, although I still have a roll in the cooler from about that period
(expiration date July 1973.)  It was my understanding that this was an
Agfa microfilm which H&W had perforated and spooled under their own
name, and for which they made a full tone developer.  As I recall, the
film had fair tonality and unbelievable enlargeability.  I don't
remember exactly when Tech Pan came out, but I suspect it was the kiss
of death for H&W, assuming the company lasted that long.

As I recall, there was an exchange of correspondence concerning this
film on the submini list a few months ago, but I can't find my printouts
(which I think I made, but might not have.)  I think there was even a
suggestion for how to brew up the developer.  You can check for yourself
by sending the following (without quotes) "search H&W in submini-l" to
listserv@listserv.aol.com.  You might have to add spaces as in H & W,
but you'll get back a list of messages that contain the phrase, along
with an instruction on how to retrieve the individual messages.  The
initial search is very fast - you should get a list of messages in under
10 seconds from the time you submit the request.  Retrieving the
individual messages takes a bit longer, and depends on how many you ask
for.

Cheers,
Kip