Subject: [Leica] Re: fluorescent filtration
From: apbc <apbc@public1.sta.net.cn>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 99 15:34:41 +0800

Rob,

filter generally and filters for fluorescents are a headache for Leicas.
If you absolutely must shoot transparency material under these appalling
devices (as I often must) you should be prepared to spend lots of money,
lots of time and lots of effort to get it right. Use colour negative if
at all possible - especially recommended is Fuji Reala.

 The first thing you need to know is what kind of fluorescents you are
shooting under - filtrations varies widely for the different types of
lights. Secondly you need to match filtration to the film - different
films react differently to fluorescents. Thirdly you need to experiment
and test these combos - they are just a starting point (Kodak and Fuji
publish data sheets). Fourthly I would strongly advise using a flash with
complementary filtration (i.e. green with CTO or CTB gels depending on
the lens's filter). This cleans up the foreground/main subject like no
amount of filtration would ever do. Fifthly don't forget to use a slow
shutter speed (longer than 1/60th) or you will get uneven exposure and
misleading meter readings.

Oh and bracket a lot! If this sounds complex it is because it is - there
is no easy way to handle fluorescents.

The B+W FLD filter is okay for the less green tubes, a 30cc Magenta is
pretty similar. A 40cc Magenta has proved more useful to me. A Lee
fluorescent gel kit will see you through most situations - but it is not
much use with an M. With a reflex camera the gels with the new Gel Snap
gadget are a godsend...

Good luck,

Adrian

Adrian Bradshaw