Subject: Re: [Leica] XTOL fact sheets (was capacity and time)
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 09:42:07 -0700

Christer Almqvist wrote:

> >I use XTOL as a one-shot developer. Nevertheless, I found that the time
> >compensations listed by Kodak are necessary for me when I use diluted
> >XTOL.
> >Like you say, everyone's mileage will vary.
> >
> >Nathan
> >
> >Rob Schneider-Laura Tully wrote:
> >
> >> Read it again.  This section relates to reusing full-strength developer.
>
> I did read it again, and then I downloaded the latest version. The latest
> version makes reference to full strength developer, and in that it differs
> from the version I had previously downloaded and had been using as hard
> copy. Alas, I  now think you  have a point when you say that  (quote)
> perhaps for your exposure, development, enlarger, printing routine you need
> an additional 15%, but I don't believe it has anything to do with "time
> compensation" gyrations related to how many rolls of film you plan to soup
> in -DILUTED- XTOL.   Your mileage may vary, indeed!  (end quote)
>
> It would have been really helpful if Kodak had practiced what I learned on
> my first job: if you write a fact sheet, then put a date on it and/or a
> version number, and indicate in the margin where you have made changes from
> the previous version. The same applies to Ilford and a few other. If there
> are no version numbers, the result is that people collect more fact sheets
> than they need, just to be on the safe side, and spend unnecessary time
> checking if something has changed, or, like I did,   use old fact sheets.
>
> --
> christer almqvist

J- 107 is The 12 page "Kodak Xtol Developer for Small Tank and Tray
Processing" from June 97 and would appear to be what you had been reading.
There is J-108 "Kodak Xtol Developer for Rotory-Tube Processors" which
I've never needed to see.
Last month I downloaded a 24 page J-109 "Kodak Xtol Developer" from
April 98. It has twice as many charts but I can't find inconsistances of
info from the first. (but I didn't look that hard)
A most important Download is "The massive Dev Chart" from
www.digitaltruth.com It has times for every film and developer you can
buy with all dilutions for Xtol including an addition for Delta 3200.
Don't go down to your Darkroom without it. (I keep mind in the bathroom)
Some additional word processing will prevent it from using half the
paper in your Lazar printer. My copy is only 20 pages but it would have
been 60. I put mine in a three ring binder.
It has Arista, Efke/Adox, Foma,(1984?), Forte, Fuji and that company in
that quaint little town of Rochester.
We're nerds!
Mark Rabiner