Subject: Re: [Leica] XTOL fact sheets (was capacity and time)
From: Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 17:25:09 +0000

>I use XTOL as a one-shot developer. Nevertheless, I found that the time
>compensations listed by Kodak are necessary for me when I use diluted
>XTOL.
>Like you say, everyone's mileage will vary.
>
>Nathan
>
>Rob Schneider-Laura Tully wrote:
>
>> Read it again.  This section relates to reusing full-strength developer.

I did read it again, and then I downloaded the latest version. The latest
version makes reference to full strength developer, and in that it differs
from the version I had previously downloaded and had been using as hard
copy. Alas, I  now think you  have a point when you say that  (quote)
perhaps for your exposure, development, enlarger, printing routine you need
an additional 15%, but I don't believe it has anything to do with "time
compensation" gyrations related to how many rolls of film you plan to soup
in -DILUTED- XTOL.   Your mileage may vary, indeed!  (end quote)

It would have been really helpful if Kodak had practiced what I learned on
my first job: if you write a fact sheet, then put a date on it and/or a
version number, and indicate in the margin where you have made changes from
the previous version. The same applies to Ilford and a few other. If there
are no version numbers, the result is that people collect more fact sheets
than they need, just to be on the safe side, and spend unnecessary time
checking if something has changed, or, like I did,   use old fact sheets.

- --
christer almqvist
eichenstrasse 57, d-20255 hamburg, fon +49-40-407111 fax +49-40-4908440
14 rue de la hauteur, f-50590 regnéville-sur-mer, fon+fax +33-233 45 35 58