Subject: Re: [Leica] 1930's look
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 09:54:28 -0700

D Khong wrote:

> >Me too on the Xtol as you well know Dan but I'm just wondering if what
> >Martin is grooving on here is the look of Pyro which I think was the
> >look of that era. I just heard it was by far the most popular developer
> >then. I think it was the Anshell/Troop book.
> >Mark Rabiner
> >

> You are probably right about the developer.  How did the Pyro developers
> differ from curent brew when used on the same film?
>
> Dan

One of the more interesting chapters in this most interesting book is
devoted to Pyro and its derivations, history and uses.
It is called "The Film Developing Cookbook" by Anshell/Troop.
I would tell anyone with an enlarger and some trays and a tank to get
this book with the grocery money. I would put it over "The Negative" by
Ansel Adams.
I recall it saying that Pyro dominated previous decades gone by but is
much more toxic if that was the reason it fell from favor. I am willing
to go with the rubber gloves and even a little face mask (from the Mt St
Helens eruption) to give it a shot sometime not too far into the next millennium.
Mark Rabiner