Subject: Re: [Leica] wide-angle lenses
From: Guy Bennett <gbennett@club-internet.fr>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 16:52:42 +0100

>In a message dated 6/26/99 3:41:18 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
>gbennett@club-internet.fr writes:
><snip>
><< to my mind, the wider focal lengths seem to be most useful for two kinds of
> shots - on the one hand, drawing attention to a dominent foreground element
> while emphasizing its spatial relationship with the background and, on the
> other, giving a sweeping 'vista' type shot, a scene seen from a distance
> including a vast amount of visual information >>
>
>I've always found wide angles (especially in conjunction with perspective
>control shifts) the most useful for interior shots and close-quarter shots in
>cities (tight shots with very little foreground-background emphasis really).
>Using wa's for scenics has always disappointed me.  These days there are some
>convenient options (panoramic cameras and camera backs, digital "stitching"
>software) that allow me to use a normal lens to record those sweeping vistas
>with a foreground-bakground perspective closer to what I actually saw at the
>time.
>DT

dt,

i also like those interiour and city shots, though i find it difficult to
avoid convergence, with all those vertical lines (i use an m6 and don't
have access to pc lenses). also, if i'm not careful, interiours shot with a
wide angle usually wind up including one or two egg-heads (though i rarely
photograph intellectuals) sitting too near the edge of the frame. regarding
wide-angle scenics, i kind of like being able to include foreground and big
sky + clouds, something the panoramic camera doesn't allow me to do.

guy