Subject: Re: [Leica] wide-angle lenses
From: InfinityDT@aol.com
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 09:02:59 EDT

In a message dated 6/26/99 3:41:18 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
gbennett@club-internet.fr writes:
<snip>
<< to my mind, the wider focal lengths seem to be most useful for two kinds of
 shots - on the one hand, drawing attention to a dominent foreground element
 while emphasizing its spatial relationship with the background and, on the
 other, giving a sweeping 'vista' type shot, a scene seen from a distance
 including a vast amount of visual information >>

I've always found wide angles (especially in conjunction with perspective
control shifts) the most useful for interior shots and close-quarter shots in
cities (tight shots with very little foreground-background emphasis really).
Using wa's for scenics has always disappointed me.  These days there are some
convenient options (panoramic cameras and camera backs, digital "stitching"
software) that allow me to use a normal lens to record those sweeping vistas
with a foreground-bakground perspective closer to what I actually saw at the
time.
DT