Subject: Re: [Leica] wide-angle lenses
From: InfinityDT@aol.com
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 12:32:34 EDT

In a message dated 6/26/99 11:00:07 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
gbennett@club-internet.fr writes:

<< i also like those interiour and city shots, though i find it difficult to
 avoid convergence, with all those vertical lines (i use an m6 and don't
 have access to pc lenses). also, if i'm not careful, interiours shot with a
 wide angle usually wind up including one or two egg-heads (though i rarely
 photograph intellectuals) sitting too near the edge of the frame >>

When I used to travel with my SLR system I always carried a PC lens. My 6x9cm
press/view camera that I take to "predominantly landscape destinations" with
the 65mm lens and all the shifts is a great setup for architecture, too, so
if I ended up in a city I used it to advantage. I've basically relegated my
SLR to nature/wildlife use nowadays, and prefer to take the M6 to
"predominantly urban destinations" (compact and fits in a slim bag that
doesn't stick out a foot to my side and bash into people and things!) so I'm
having to adjust to working around the convergence issue. I *try* to shoot
interiors of large buildings from as high a vantage point as possible (a
mezzanine balcony perhaps) so as to get as much floor-to-ceiling coverage as
I can without tilting the camera up.  Exterior shots if possible I try to
find a building across the street where I can go up a few floors and shoot
out an open window.  I remember from my darkroom days (always hated being in
there) you could tilt the enlarging easel to correct the convergence.  Not
much help shooting chromes, though.  I wonder if Photoshop 5.0 has such a
feature (it must).

DT