Subject: Re: [Leica] Old-style photos, developers, and lenses
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 1999 09:17:16 -0700

Doug Richardson wrote:

> Glen M. Robinson wrote:
><snip>
> Perhaps the development techniques of the time were partly
> responsible. Some 35 years ago, a friend at work told me he wanted to
> try mixing his own developer from the raw chemicals. In some Ancient
> Dusty Volume of Photographic Lore which I'd lent him he found a recipe
> for "Leitz two-bath developer" and decided to give this a try - I
> think the idea of having a developer which had to be used in two
> stages amused him.
>
><snip>
> (Looking through my photo books today, I can't find this mysterious
> developer - I can only assume that I've lost the book, or maybe it was
> an old book on loan from the public library. The idea of a "Leitz"
> developer seems strange - I can't imagine the mavens of Wetzlar
> deciding to invent a developer.<snip>
> Regards,
>
> Doug Richardson
There is a whole chapter in the new Anchell/Troop book some of us keep
referring to repeatedly on two bath developers. Diafine made by the same
people that made Acufine was one. I used them for a few months in the
Early '80's. And many Developers can be adapted to a 2 bath version. The
Alkaline excelerator is taken out of the formula and used as a second
bath. Development times are standardized for all films (3 or 4 minutes
in each bath) and the keeping properties are phenomenal as it's the
alkali that eats away the developer apparently and it is kept seperate.
Pretty much the most compensating way you can go. The developer is
excelerated only after it has immersed itself in the film. The effect is
so intense you can see through most peoples clothing. (Joke)
And yes I've heard of Leitz coming out with developers. At least some
with their name on them. One was mentioned in the old Ansel Adams the
negative book as I recall. In the chapter on how to make your prints
from sheet film look like they came from 35mm Leica negatives!
Mark Rabiner