Subject: Re: [Leica] Deterioration of slide images
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 1999 09:36:32 -0700

Tina Manley wrote:

> At 08:47 PM 6/4/99 -0700, you wrote:
> >My Kodachrome have stood up better than my Ektachromes by a long shot.
> >They have both underwent a lot of projection. My slides date to '65.
> >Fade wise it will take a lot of convincing to convince me against my
> >direct experience. Also my wifes dad's slides agree. His predates mine
> >by a decade or two, his old non Kodachomes look faded, the Kodachomes
> >are frozen in time.
> >Mark Rabiner
>
> The Kodachromes last much better than E6 in dark storage, but they also
> fade much faster when projected.  Store your Kodachromes and make E6 dupes
> to project.
>
> Leically,
>
> Tina

So you've heard this too! The problem is to this day I have never seen a
faded Kodachrome slide. I'm sure they probably exist. Both myself and my
father in law have apparently not been baking the individual slide in
the enlarger for minutes at a time but move them right along. MY old
Ektachromes (no Fuji then but it's E6) have all changed.
This is a major reason I stand firm for them. When at the LHSA meeting I
saw three or four slide shows 95% Kodachrome. At the end of a slide show
the photograher would say "And now I've moved on to that new _____ film
as it's taking longer to have the Kodachrome projected" (or whatever)
"I've found them to be every way as good or better that "the old"
Kodachrome" then they would be projected and they would look like
doodoo. Then at the very end they would say "IM sorry! Here are a few
old Kodachomes again at the very end for some reason" and they would
light up the screen with gorgousness. There is no comparison, there are
no substitutes, and these guys are famous or should be and are
projecting originals!
Mark Rabiner