Subject: [Leica] 40 M-Rokkor questions
From: Nicholas Hartmann <polyglot@execpc.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 10:04:32 -0500

>> I'm considering buying a 40 M-Rokkor and I have a couple of questions
about it.

1)  How does its size compare to the non-asph 35 summicron?
2) Which framelines does it activate on a Leica M and what is it's
actual coverage relative to the framelines?

The 40 Rokkor is about the same physical size as the pre-Aspherical 35
Summicron, but perceptibly lighter in weight.

It activates the 50-mm framelines on an M6, but its actual coverage is much
closer to that of a 35-mm lens. A Leica repair person (Don Goldberg in my
case) can grind down the lens-mount flange to make the 35-mm framelines
come up, but that then makes the lens unusable on the Leitz/Minolta CLE for
which this lens was designed. The modification cost about $25 plus shipping.

Note that because Leica framelines are designed to be accurate at a focal
distance of about 2 meters, the 35-mm framelines are in fact almost perfect
for the _40_ when it is focused at infinity. That makes this lens very
handy for outdoor grab shots, since what you see within the framelines is
what you get on the negative - no extraneous stuff on the edges.

- -- Nick