Subject: Re: [Leica] X-ray
From: csocolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 19:03:26 -0400

D Khong wrote:

SNIP

> 3200 film?  How many airline passengers carry 3200 film?  Those rare breeds
> who carry 3200 film and expect to be given special treatment just because
> they have such fast films with them will just have to face possibility of
> refusal.  Who knows if you are  actually a leica toting terrorist dressed
> in a snazzy coat and tie?  I find 400 film more than fast enough. That's
> why I am using leicas with big f-stops and shoot wide open handholding at
> 1/4 sec if needed.  Sharp pics too! To date, I have personally not
> encountered a single roll of film being ruined in any manner due to airport
> security xrays.
>
> Dan K.

I recently travelled to Italy. I removed all film from canisters and put
in plastic bags and/or tupperware-type containers. This included 3200.
It was all readily accessible. Both in the U.S. and Italy, when I
indicated that I had 3200 film and requested hand inspection I was
graciously accomodated.

I've also had this happen in France flying out of Paris. I never check
film in my checked baggage due to the high doses some of the newer x-ray
machines inflict.

I should add that my assistant shot only 8x10 black & white and
inspectors were accomodating when he requested hand inspection of the
boxes his film was in. This, of course, meant not opening it. They did,
however, take swipes with their chemical cloths for analysis on their
bomb-sniffers.

My experience at Heathrow in 1987 is that they are unyielding. In
general, I don't like to put my 3200 through x-rays but have no problem
putting up to 400 through and have had no problems when I've been
required to do so.
- --
Carl Socolow

http://members.tripod.com/SocPhoto/