Subject: Re: [Leica] X-ray
From: "jahudson" <jahudson@direct.ca>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 14:53:47 -0700

- ----- Original Message -----
From: Gareth Jolly <garethjolly@bigpond.com>
To: <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Sent: Thursday, April 15, 1999 2:14 PM

> This email has reminded me.  I came across an email on another list
> concerning 'Kodak's bulletin on new airport x-ray machines and film
> fogging'.  See
>
> http://rebecca.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=000PTk
>
> The thread refers to:
>
> 1.  new hand luggage x ray machines which can fog film on one pass
through.
> They work by using a low intensity x ray across the luggage, then - if the
> machine's computer thinks there is something suspicious - use a high
> intensity x ray directed at the offending item.  If that happens to
include
> your film, it's cactus.
>
> 2.  The US FAA regulation giving photographers a right to hand inspection
of
> film.
>
> Any one know of any similar regulations in other countries?

My recent experience at Heathrow in London, England is that you have two
options........submit your body and ALL of your possessions to x-ray or you
don't fly ....... I requested a hand examination of film cannisters and was
absolutely and flatly refused. It seemed that the security inspectors had
absolutely no latitude or discretion whatsoever. Fortunately my exposed but
undeveloped films did not suffer.

jh