Subject: Re: [Leica] X-ray
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 19:47:37 -0400

At 05:27 PM 4/15/99 +0200, you wrote:

>>(Flying is becoming a pain in the arse.  You get treated like cattle
>from
>the moment you step into the airport until the second you're out the
>other end.)
>
>What arguments do you present to ensure that your film gets inspected
>by hand and not shoved through the machines?  I haven't developed the
>film yet, so I don't know if any damage has occurred.
>

>M.

Martin -

Amen!  I agree that we are treated like cattle.  It's miserable to fly
these days.  You did everything right as far as you went. There are some
airports that absolutely refuse to hand-check.  In the USA they have to
hand-check, but not in other countries.  I always have 4 or 5 lead-lined
bags in my carry-on luggage.  If they refuse to hand-check, put the film in
the lead-lined bags and send it through the machine.  They CAN'T turn up
the power on the machines for carry-on luggage, only the more powerful ones
for checked luggage.  When the x-ray machine can't see through your
lead-lined bags, the security people will ask to hand-check that bag -
exactly what you had requested in the first place.  I travel a lot and have
had film ruined by x-rays machines but never when I use this method.  Good
luck!

Leically,

Tina
Tina Manley, ASMP