Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica & Contax test
From: "Bruce Feldman" <brucef@waw.pdi.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 19:00:24 +0100

- ----- Original Message -----
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
To: <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Sent: Thursday, March 25, 1999 5:25 PM

>Why can't you use exactly the same technique with the Contax?  So at worst,
>the Contax will be just as fast as the M Leica.

Good question, Dan.  Answer:

1.   The G2  would have to be used in manual mode to do that and it's hard
to manually focus it by feel (no focusing ring), without looking at it to
check the readout.

2.  It you have to turn off the electronics in order to get the camera to
work right, then that doesn't say too much for the camera, IMHO.  Why bother
with it in the first place?

3.  If you use the G2 in auto mode, which, let's face it, is how it's
designed to be used, it doesn't start to work until you (at least partially)
press the shutter.  If you're going to prefocus it, you have to be aiming
it.  Bye, bye, subject!  Any M user worth his salt ought to be able to
prefocus his M -- and set aperture and shutter -- while it's in his pocket,
out of sight, with one hand, and without thinking.

4.  If you're not going to prefocus your G2, then it doesn't get out of bed
until you press the shutter, too often too late.  I don't know about you,
but I want that shutter to move.  Instantly.  I don't want it futzing around
while the subject turns away, etc.

As someone once said, a Leica-M user doesn't need an automatic camera, he
learns to be an automatic photographer!

Regards,
Bruce Feldman
Warsaw