Subject: [Leica] G system and Leica
From: Vondauster@aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 20:34:22 EST

Hi All,

OK. As someone who owns and shoots both systems, I'll throw in my two cents
worth on this issue. I find, after considerable use, the optics are roughly
equal in quality. In my opinion, the 21s are equal, the 28 Biogon is superior,
the 35 Summicron ASPH superior, the 45 and 50 very close, and the 90s very
close. Having said that, Leica has a number of considerably faster lenses that
the G system simply cannot match.

The G autofocus and metering systems are excellent when used within their
design limitations. The G system is an excellent value versus the M system.
Its durability is unlikely to match the M system.

This might be a good place to invoke Walt's maxim on lens quality arguments -
in use the lenses from these two systems are sufficiently above that of most
others in quality that quibbling about them borders on the neurotic.

Will von Dauster