Subject: Re: [Leica] G system and Leica
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 10:06:50 -0500

Vondauster@aol.com wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> OK. As someone who owns and shoots both systems, I'll throw in my two cents
> worth on this issue. I find, after considerable use, the optics are roughly
> equal in quality. In my opinion, the 21s are equal, the 28 Biogon is superior,
> the 35 Summicron ASPH superior, the 45 and 50 very close, and the 90s very
> close. Having said that, Leica has a number of considerably faster lenses that
> the G system simply cannot match.
>
> The G autofocus and metering systems are excellent when used within their
> design limitations. The G system is an excellent value versus the M system.
> Its durability is unlikely to match the M system.
>
> This might be a good place to invoke Walt's maxim on lens quality arguments -
> in use the lenses from these two systems are sufficiently above that of most
> others in quality that quibbling about them borders on the neurotic.
>
> Will von Dauster

It's a slow day, so I'll jump in here too..
I had a G1 with the 45, 28 and 90 - which I dumped to get my M6. I did this for
only two reasons: the G1 autofocus sucked - sorry, but there's no other word for
it. It was slow. It wasn't particularly accurate. And in dim light? Fagetit!

The second reason I got rid of it was that the "manual focus" was nothing more
than a hand adjusted auto focus.

Now, having read a fair amount, and having played with a G2, I gather that the
autofocus is much better - although the "manual focus" is still not manual.

As to the lenses - Sorry Mark, but they were terrific. To my eye they were every
bit as sharp as their M counterparts. The color rendition was really terrific,
although I am primarily a B&W person. They may not do as well in Irwin's tests as
the Leica lenses, but then it will be a cold day in a hot place before I can
extract that extra bit of whatever out of the Leica lenses.

The meter? Dead on.

My conclusion? When I can no longer deal with a manual rangefinder because my eyes
can't hack it, I will definitely go to the Gwhatever-it-is at that point. I will
lose the quiet of the M, as well, I am sure, as some of the long-term reliability
and Zen of engineering. But I will be getting good glass and good images.

Meanwhile, I'll just click away with my M6 .. :-)
B. D.