Subject: RE: [Leica] G system and Leica
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 16:56:59 +0100

Mark,

The linked post was written by Tom "Tea" Shea, who is a user/collector
enthusiast owning an extremely vast array of systems, judging from his
posts and articles here and elsewhere. I have not been able to trace any
test performed by Erwin on lines of equipement other than Leica, but I
remember posts by Erwin mentionning the Planar design for example, in
contexts that do not equate comparative testing. Maybe you have other
traces, or maybe Erwin himself could freshen our memories.

The other testing sources usually give an image of more or less equal
performances between M and G, but these comparisons were usually done on
pre-asph lenses (21/35).

Actually, it is the usage of a G2 system that brought me to the Leica M: I
liked the size/weight/finish of that 'non-SLR' system, but suffered from
too many glitches due to the compulsory delegation of focusing judgement to
the electronics. Unfortunately, may I stress, because there sure are many
situations where I have wished for an aperture priority automatism AND
efficient motor AND useable flash sync speed on a system equivalent in size
and build quality to the M6.

The G remains a very unique and puzzling system. Wonder if it will ever
evolve ? At the end of the day, it only needs a more sophisticated AF
sensor system or an optical rangefinder backup/control system. And f1.4
lenses.

Alan